Daniel K. Burke is the founder and president of DKB LEGAL LLC. Dan is an experienced attorney who has guided many clients, including Fortune 100 companies, mid-size and small businesses, as well as individuals, through the analysis, resolution and litigation of a wide range of business and employment matters.
Prior to founding DKB LEGAL, Dan practiced law with large law firms, including Strasburger Price LLP in Dallas, Texas and Ice Miller LLP in Indianapolis, Indiana. Dan also practiced law with Hoover Hull Turner LLP, an Indianapolis law firm specializing in complex business and employment litigation.
Dan has achieved the highest peer review rating (AV Preeminent®*) provided by Martindale-Hubbell and was selected as an Indiana SuperLawyers Rising Star®** for 2009, 2011, 2012 and 2014. Dan also has also achieved a rating of 10.0 “superb” by AVVO.***
- Counseled and advised business owners and individuals in the analysis and resolution of disputes regarding noncompetition, non-solicitation and nondisclosure agreements.
- Partnered with clients to resolve trade secret misappropriation claims.
- Counseled clients in resolving employment matters, including wage and hour, harassment, discrimination and retaliation claims.
- Defended attorneys and other professionals against malpractice claims.
- Assisted carriers and policyholders in resolving insurance coverage disputes.
- Represented trustees and beneficiaries in trust litigation matters.
- Guided clients through resolution of business ownership disputes.
- Represented real estate developers, contractors and property owners in real estate and construction disputes.
- Defended manufacturers against products liability claims.
- Advised clients in the identification, avoidance, resolution and litigation of wide range of other business disputes, including fraud, tortious interference, defamation, breach of contract and negligence.
Dan earned his B.S. degree from Indiana University – Bloomington (1994) and his law degree, with honors, from the Southern Methodist University School of Law in Dallas, Texas (1999). While in law school, Dan was also a member of the SMU Law Review.
PUBLICATIONS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMNTS:
Author, Non-Solicitation Agreements Won’t Extend to Past Customers, Hoover Hull Turner LLP Newsletter, Spring 2015.
Speaker, National Business Institute - Arbitration, September 2015.
Speaker, Indiana Civil Law Update, Indiana State Judicial Conference, September 2013.
Co-Author, Recent Developments in Indiana Civil Procedure, 46 Ind. L. Rev. 975 (2013).
Co-Author, Recent Developments in Indiana Civil Procedure, 45 Ind. L. Rev. 1011 (2012).
Author, Asset Protection through Noncompetition Agreements, Hoover Hull LLP Newsletter, Spring 2011.
Author, Recent Developments in Indiana Civil Procedure, 44 Ind. L. Rev. 1087 (2011).
Author, Recent Developments in Indiana Civil Procedure, 43 Ind. L. Rev. 639 (2010).
Author, Recent Developments in Indiana Civil Procedure, 42 Ind. L. Rev. 879 (2009).
Co-Author, Recent Developments in Indiana Civil Procedure, 41 Ind. L. Rev. 883 (2008).
Professional Admissions, Associations and Memberships
Indiana State Bar
Texas State Bar (Inactive)
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana, and the Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of Texas
American, Indiana and Indianapolis Bar Associations
Fellow of the Indiana Bar Association
* AV Preeminent® is a registered certification mark of Reed Elsevier Properties, Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
** The Rising Star selection process (limited to attorneys 40 years of age or younger or in practice for 10 years or less) is based on nominations by attorneys licensed in Indiana combined with third-party research. Up to 2.5% of the total lawyers in the state are selected as Rising Stars®.